My method for Dark Angels Reivers
- Spray the model with Chaos Black .
- Paint armoured areas Caliban Green . Make sure to water down paint roughly 50/50 to ensure a smooth coat and preserve all those details! Touch up with multiple layers if necessary. This stage can be done with an airbrush if preferred.
- Paint Abaddon Black to the undersuit (behind the knees, groin area and elbow area), Heavy Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, holster, belt and any other pouches as shown in the image.
- Paint the skull mask Zandri Dust .
- Paint the chest sigil Retributor Armour
- Paint any purity seal parchments with Rakarth Flesh .
- Paint the eye lenses and purity seals with Mephiston Red .
- Paint Leadbelcher to any rivets, exhausts on the backpack, remaining areas of the Heavy Bolt Pistol, Krak Grenades and Combat Knife.
- Touch up any mistakes before proceeding.
- Apply Seraphim Sepia to the chest sigil and skull mask.
- Apply Agrax Earthshade to the eye lenses and the purity seal parchments.
- Apply Nuln Oil to the recesses in the armour, metal areas and areas painted black.
- Tidy up any mistakes made while shading the model.
- Highlight around all edges of the armour with Warpstone Glow
- Highlight all black areas with Eshin Grey on all raised edges.
- Highlight all red areas with Evil Sunz Scarlet on all raised edges. For the eye lenses fill in the center of the lens, leaving a darker circle around. It will be slightly tear drop shaped, getting narrower towards the sides of the helmet. Refer to image.
- Highlight the Purity Seal parchment using Rakarth Flesh
- Highlight skull mask with Ushabti Bone on all raised edges.
- Highlight chest sigil Auric Armour Gold
- Highlight the metal areas previously painted with Leadbelcher on all raised edges and areas with Stormhost Silver
- End of highlights stage 1
For the second stage of highlighting I like to imagine a light source and focus most of the highlights to brighten up the model this way. This helps to increase the effectiveness of the pose, in the image below the light is coming from the direction he is shooting. Use small highlights to pick out any small details too. For areas which would be shadowed I use the highlights more sparingly, although, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate to physics. If it looks good, it looks good!
- Pick out around corner areas on the armour with Moot Green .
- Highlight highest raised areas of black with Dawnstone .
- Highlight highest raised areas of the purity seal and front part of eye lense with Wild Rider Red .
- Highlight skull mask further with Screaming Skull
- Highlight the Purity Seal parchment with Pallid Wych Flesh
- Highlight chest sigil Liberator Gold . Stormhost Silver can be used for a final highlight for extra glint.
- Follow guide here for my Dark Angels basing method: https://paintpad.app/recipes/1091-cold-moon-rock-bases